Flights Data Sources
- Melio is calculating flight emissions based on papers from MyClimate and the International Civil Aviation Organization ICAO, a United Nation Agency founded in 1947.
- Our output is meant to represent the amount of emissions an individual passenger is responsible for given their choice of flight and cabin class.
- We are only focusing on operational emissions for now, as these represent the vast majority of lifetime emissions for this use case.
- Flight distance
- Average holding patterns
- Cabin class (i.e., business class vs. economy)
- Passenger load factors per region
- Passenger to cargo ratios per region
- Non-CO2 effects such as Radiative Forcing Index (RFI)
- Pre-production fuel emissions
- Non-fuel aircraft and infrastructure emissions (e.g. airports)
Data Sources & Attribution:
- ICAO paper and other ICAO data sources, covering decades of historical data
- Flight route data that our extension has previously viewed and collected in our database